[Alberg30] A4 over heating

C.B. Currier cbcurrier at spinrx.com
Mon Aug 12 17:12:40 PDT 2002

Try www.moyermarine.com

One acid wash I beleive is muriatic acid. Which I beleive accomodates
removing the "scale" from the inside of the motor. The best move is first to
drain the motor, pull the starboard inspection plate into the waterjacket.
run a shop vac and suck all of the debris. Then force air into there and
blow .  This will make a bit of a mess but will help. Then close up and try
the acid flush by placing the water intake into the solution you choose.
Sorry I do not have the correct flush recipe.
But for the most part I have had more success with scale and obstructions by
chasing them down with a shop vac.

C.B. Currier
Infinity #57
Daybreak #458

PS anyone need an atomic 4? I got 6

Kevin Blanc said:
> Removing your thermostat will make the engine run cooler.
>
> It sounds like your cooling jackets are clogged. There are a number of
> ways to flush them out. I would ask this question on the Atomic 4
> forum.  I wish I could remember where that forum is... well, one forum
> is at  http://www.atomic-4.com
>
> I flushed mine with a mild acid solution (oxalic acid crystals disolved
>  in water), but some folks have used Prestone radiator flush. The trick
>  is to circulate it through the engine. I used one of those drill
> powered  water puppy pumps. I'm sure someone will post instructions. I
> wish I  could find mine...
>
> John P Reber wrote:
>

>> My A4 has been running hot. The more RPM's the hotter it shows.
>>
>> Water was coming out the exhaust. So my first thought was the
>> thermostat. I removed it and it seemed to hold steady around 110, then
>>  I read that the thermostat closes the bypass, and if you remove the
>> thermostat you should block the bypass.
>>
>> I blocked off the bypass and the temperature shot right up and there
>> was no water running out the exhaust.
>>
>> I removed the thermostat housing and ran the engine for a moment and
>> water is reaching the housing, but apparently is blocked somewhere
>> after that.
>>
>> Is there a routine set of steps for troubleshooting a clog in an A4?

 | Sale on Yale & New England Ropes.  Save up to 25 percent. |