[Alberg30] spark plugs

Dave Terrell DTERRELL.GWSTAFF.GWNMC at message.nmc.edu
Tue Aug 13 15:38:53 PDT 2002

thanks for the suggestion. I appreciate it very much.

>>> t.k.blanc at att.net 08/13/02 06:29PM >>>
You might consider a rebuild kit from Moyer (www.moyermarine.com). I
believe he has a kit to replace the non-adjustable jet with an
adjustable jet which makes it possible to fine tune the carb.

I carb rebuild every three to five years is a good idea. I think the
Moyer rebuild kit is less than $60 or $80 dollars. A new, late model
carburetor is about $150. Not a bad idea if you are unsure about the
condition of yours.

Dave Terrell wrote:

>thanks. The idle was turned down, but the carb has not been adjusted beyond that and certainly not rebuilt.

>I don't change my plugs but once every two years. I have the Indigo
>electronic ignition (a lot of folks don't like electronic ignitions).
>
>In any event, if you've adjusted the carb so it isn't running too rich,
>and it isn't burning oil, you might want to try a new coil.
>
>Dave Terrell wrote:
>
>>I have been chaning the spark plugs on the A4 when the engine seems to want to "miss"m a bit or when the engine seems to loose power slightly. This always solves the problem. I have gone through 3 sets this summer so far. I am using the J12 plugs as was suggested on the list serve.
>>
>>Is this usage normal? The engine runs very smoothly when the plugs are new. The old ones are badly carboned. When I got the boat It came with severa sets of what I took to be old and cleaned spark plugs.
>>
>>If it is not normal - and I guess it is not - what could be the cause or causes and what might some remedies be?
>>
>>Thanks. Being gone a month makes catching up on the list traffic a big job. As always, the info is interesting and very helpful.

 | Sale on Yale & New England Ropes.  Save up to 25 percent. |