[Alberg30] Steam Light Wiring

Dave Terrell DTERRELL.GWSTAFF.GWNMC at message.nmc.edu
Mon Aug 19 08:14:51 PDT 2002

I assume the mast is  up. if you have a fish( I purchased a 50' one for about $25.00 at a loca ACE hardware) you could use it to rewire the steaming light if the holes for the wire are big enough and accessbile enough. While this sugggested approach would be unorthodox because you are supposed to pull wires rather than push them (I have found as part of my learning experience that pulling is the way to go when ever possible), as long as you could access the wire when it reaches the bottom of the mast, I think it could work.  you might try to attach the wire to the fish and push it down through  the mast from a bosun's chair located at the steaming light level. Before using the fish you will have to remove the steaming light to get access to the wiring holes. If that worked, you could do the up top rewiring of the steamning light and then do down and do what had to be done at the deck level. If the hole in the mast is big enough to accomodate both the fish and the wire, this !
could work. I would do the positive and the negative separately rather than try to gang them together. For what it is worth, gravity is on your side and if your mast is like mine there are no major obstructions except the mast head wires that also run inside the mast. I understand some masts have wire conduits inside the mast for cable management. This is not the case with my boat, and I am not sure how what would effect the project.

If the mast is down in the fall the task is really easy. just run the fish up the mast from the bottom till it reaches the steaming light hole and pull the wires out and do the rewiring job.

If you live in a place where boats are laid up in the fall and do not do much motoring after dark, I would wait. For us in Traverse City, the process of coming out of the water starts in about 3 weeks for some people.

I hope this is of some help.

>>> JWATSON2 at twmi.rr.com 08/18/02 06:42PM >>>
All:

Found that my spreader light was out and no current was passing through the
mast to the light. I tried to run wire through but the wire snapped. No way
at the moment to snake it through. What options do I have to replace the
wiring? Any ideas?

Thanks,
Jim '549'

 | Sale on Yale & New England Ropes.  Save up to 25 percent. |

 | Sale on Yale & New England Ropes.  Save up to 25 percent. |