[Alberg30] 5 gallon bucket

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Tue Aug 27 18:26:32 PDT 2002

Thanks.  That account is not a humorous as the one I was recalling, but
it is interesting.  From pp. 222-223:

	David Guthrie ... was alone in mid-Atlantic aboard his small sloop when
the end of the main halyard ran aloft.  This necessitated a trip to the
masthead in waters that were far from smooth.  Guthrie had a large conic
sea anchor aboard, and it occurred to him that he might be able to
utilize its drag to assist him in going aloft.  His plan was to keep
sailing under a headsail and to attach a bosun's chair to one end of a
spare halyard and secure the sea anchor to the halyard's other end.
Then he would throw overboard the sea anchor, which would remain
relatively stationary, and the boat's headway would pull the chair with
Guthrie in it to the masthead.  The plan also required that the
single-hander carry aloft the end of a trip-line leading to the apex of
the sea anchor so that it could be tripped to allow descending after the
runaway halyard had been retrieved.

	The idea was a good one, but its execution brought about some
unanticipated problems.  One was that the boat's speed of between four
and five knots hoisted Guthrie entirely too fast, and a more serious
difficulty occurred when the trip-line was found to be too short as a
result of its having been led inadvertently under the stern pulpit.
This mistake caused the trip line to act before Guthrie was at the
masthead, and down he came, fortunately with no serious injuries
resulting.  Once he was back on deck and the trip-line became slack, he
was yanked aloft again by the strain of the sea anchor.  After
returniing to the deck again, Guthrie was somewhat shaken, and having
been "hoist by his own petard," he decided to postpone the experiment
until the following day.

	I never heard whether the halyard was eventually retrieved by this
unusual method....

   George Dinwiddie                             gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
   sailing.                                    http://www.Alberg30.org/

 | Sale on Yale & New England Ropes.  Save up to 25 percent. |