[Alberg30] Counterpoise

Bob Chambers BlueDolphin at rivnet.net
Wed Dec 4 10:59:00 PST 2002

Have one installed on my Whitby 42.  I did exactly what they say not to do,
ran a piece of #10 wire from tuner to a thruhull.  The radio has worked
quite well, several people say I have a very strong signal.  However, I plan
to do what they suggest and that is to run copper foil (about 2 inches wide
and very thin) from the tuner down to the thruhull (a dynaplate or similar
is better) and then run two pieces of the foil up under the floorboards.
One about 30 to 40 feet long and the other about 17 feet long.  This is
considered by most to be the best counterpoise at both end of the radio wave
spectrum.  Instead of the copper foil, I was told a good alternative is HAM
radio twin lead with the ends tied together.  This "simulates" a flat piece
of wire at radio frequencies.  Don't know the source, but it is two
conductors held about an inch apart by pieces of plastic.  Hope this helps.

Bob Chambers

 | http://www.alberg30.org/store/Calendars.html |
 | Have you got your 2003 calendars yet???????? |