[Alberg30] trailer?

Richard Johns Richard.Johns at valley.net
Fri Dec 13 06:37:17 PST 2002

I do not know of any trailers for sale.  I was able to have a trailer built two years ago for $2600.  I designed it after consulting Dexter Axle co. and looking at some Triad trailers at the marina.

I ordered the steel from a local metal distributor. I purchased  three 3500 pound axles with  surge activated hydraulic brakes, coupler, wheels,  tires and tubing kit from the Dexter distributor in the area. The parts were surprisingly inexpensive.  They gave me the same discount they give to local horse trailer builders.

 With the design I made, a welder with a truck mounted welder cut the steel and fabricated it in an afternoon.

The $2600 included all material and the welders charge.  I hooked up the brakes and wiring and painted it in about 20 hours.  I then got it titled as homemade, inspected  and licensed.

Building is about half the price of buying new and about the same as a used trailer.  I have some digital pictures if you want them. I could also put together a materials list and provide key dimensions. I do not have drawings as this was field engineering.

Richard