[Alberg30] trailer?

Dave Terrell DTERRELL at message.nmc.edu
Fri Dec 13 09:44:29 PST 2002

A colleague of mine who has an alberg here in traverse city did the same
thing for a similar price. I can connect you with him if you like.

>>> RABBIT649 at aol.com 12/13/02 12:35PM >>>

Wow. I gotta say, I admire what you accomplished, Richard and I would
love to
have a link to the pictures. It's surprising to find out that the gross

profit is over 50% for the commercial makers (as I assume they can get
costs
down even further with volume buying and production jigs for the
welding).
I would love to know what Michael Connolly (who recently designed and
built
his own double axle trailer in cooperation with a mfg. and paid $5,000)
and
Richard Hansen (who was shopping mfgs recently. for a group buy and
came up
with a best price slightly higher for three trailers from Triad) have
to say
on your spectacular feat of cost effective home engineering.
Paul Cicchetti
#23 Ashwagh

HREF="mailto:Richard.Johns at valley.net">Richard.Johns at valley.net</A>
HREF="mailto:public-list at alberg30.org">public-list at alberg30.org</A>
>  Sent from the Internet
>

> I do not know of any trailers for sale.  I was able to have a trailer
built
> two years ago for $2600.  I designed it after consulting Dexter Axle
co.
> and looking at some Triad trailers at the marina.
>
> I ordered the steel from a local metal distributor. I purchased
three 3500
> pound axles with  surge activated hydraulic brakes, coupler, wheels,
tires
> and tubing kit from the Dexter distributor in the area. The parts
were
> surprisingly inexpensive.  They gave me the same discount they give
> local horse trailer builders.
>
>  With the design I made, a welder with a truck mounted welder cut the
steel
> and fabricated it in an afternoon.
>
> The $2600 included all material and the welders charge.  I hooked up
the
> brakes and wiring and painted it in about 20 hours.  I then got it
titled
> as homemade, inspected  and licensed.
>
> Building is about half the price of buying new and about the same as
a used
> trailer.  I have some digital pictures if you want them. I could also
put
> together a materials list and provide key dimensions. I do not have
> drawings as this was field engineering.
>
> Richard

 | http://www.alberg30.org/store/Calendars.html |
 | Have you got your 2003 calendars yet???????? |