[Alberg30] Boom Height

Henry Sharpe henry_sharpe at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 1 23:14:01 PST 2002

 On #111, the main was recut as a loose footed main.  With the loose foot, I was able to get much better sail shape via outhaul adjustment.  I also had enough trimmed off the foot (It was old and stretched) so that the boom would clear my head @ 6' 1+".  The net result was equivalent or better performance across a range of wind speeds.  (The old main was not doing me any favors when it blew.) The boom is equipped with a downhaul in lieu of a cunningham (now added).
Henry Sharpe #111
  Michael <dickdurk at intercom.net> wrote: I have noticed some Albergs no longer have an adjustable topping lift. Is this the case with #333? If it is, then that is your main problem; it seems to me the boom being too low is a problem only when stationary,motoring, or (of course) tacking/jibing. I'm 5' 8", and raising the end of the boom after a sail is part of Checkmate's mainsail dropping procedure.Then again, I rarely have the head of the main raised up to the "blackband" painted on the mast. I think my main is a little undersized. MichaelCheckmate #220----- Original Message ----- From: Peers Pendlebury To: Public-list at alberg30.org Sent: Monday, January 28, 2002 09:43 PMSubject: [Alberg30] Boom Height
I find the height of the boom on my recently purchased Alberg 30 inconveniently low. It sits about 56" above the cockpit sole so is always in the way. It is possible to raise it a little but not enough to prevent head bumping - I am 5'10 so not too tall. The dodger has been built around this height and is only 53" high making it difficult to climb under it into the cabin. Is this a unique problem to my boat or is this just how it is? Are there any suggestions on how to adjust the boom and mainsail to about 6ft above the sole without affecting performance too much?Any help will be appreciated.Peers Pendlebury #333