[Alberg30] Moisture metres

John Birch Sunstone at cogeco.ca
Sun Feb 3 14:40:26 PST 2002

We use a Protimeter Aquant (UK built) - it was reviewed in Practical Sailor about a year or two ago and was well rated - about $350 US. It is a relative meter as apposed to a percent metre in moisture but I find it does a good job - one finds the dry areas and from that can interpret the damper areas. On boats that have been opened up, after we have used the metre, it has been determined the metre is accurate on the damaged areas to slightly pessimistic. Though all decks that have been opened after we have been metering them have been found to contain the damage areas as being closely similar to what the metre showed.

The meter is a radio frequency type meter and can read decks that have been rained on recently without skewing the results - a nice feature the probe type can't do. There are many good makes on the market so shop around.

I think having one's own meter is a worthwhile expense and about the cost of one survey - but they are fragile, I don't loan mine but am quite willing to meter friend's boats for them. You may find if you buy a meter and wave it around many people will be offering you money, or beer, to keep it away from their decks ; )

Kind of a variation on the old Chicago Mob protection rackets ; )

Hope this is a help,

John Birch
9 Homewood Avenue
Hamilton, Ontario,
Canada L8P 2M1

Tel:    905-521-9166
Fax:   905-521-9166 - call before sending
Email: Sunstone at cogeco.ca