[Alberg30] Rudder Post Cap

JPGrathwol at aol.com JPGrathwol at aol.com
Tue Feb 19 14:32:26 PST 2002

My A30, and I imagine all of the earlier boats (mine is #88), has a cap on the rudder post to which the rudder is attached by means of a stainless "H" shaped bracket.  This rudder post cap at one time rode above a bronze washer/nipple which fits around the rudder post, and was screwed flush to the deck.  This washer/nipple kept the rubber post cap off the deck serves to center the rudder post in the hole in cockpit sole through which it passes (there is a raised/raked cylindrical mound through which the rudder post passes).  I hope that this description is intelligible.

The problem I am having is that the bronze washer/nipple is fused to the rudder post and the rudder post cap.  The bronze washer/nipple now rotates freely with the tiller/rudder post.  (As it's fused to the rudder post how could it do otherwise?)  I would like to remove the rudder post cap, remove the washer/nipple and reseat a derlin washer/nipple and re-intall the "rudder post cap".

Only I can't budge the rudder post cap.  It is fused to the rudder post.  Does any one have any suggestions?  As this assembly is right there in the cockpit stern, I am afraid of getting too involved with hammers, heaters and wild schemes of my own design.  I have had several close calls with my own bright ideas and thought it time to call on the list. Especially as it is not really broken, yet.  It is just not as fixed as I would like.

John Grathwol
Dovekie #88

 |  Foul weather?  Deep discounts on Henri Lloyd and 2001 Gill gear. |
 | *** http://www.myaffiliateprogram.com/u/sailnet/t.asp?id=1066 *** |