[Alberg30] mast for Mr. Phillips

Stuckintheriggin at aol.com Stuckintheriggin at aol.com
Thu Feb 28 17:51:37 PST 2002

John,

I can get the dimensions of the oem mast easyly enough for you as my mast is
in my driveway.  Thought you might be interested to know that Metalmast
Marine (also there web address ) can fabricate a new mast very easily and
reasonable too-between 3 and 4k for you .   I got a quote out of curiosity
only a month ago.  For that money you'll have to make up the running rigging
yourself.  I used Rigging only in Fairhaven Ma..  They are Very competitvily
priced too!!!   A newer mast will be lighter and the extrusion's moments will
provide greater than or equal to original stregnth.  I don't think the added
cost of a taper is worth the loss of stregnth.  You can add a backstay
adjuster like others in the assoc. have ( I've seen the pictures) and
accomplish very handily all the mast tweaking you'll ever need.  I would
recomend maintaining the std. mast height, unless you are buying new
sails...notice here how that wish list keeps growing?   with a new mast it's
time to start thinking about goodies like internal halyards, new masthead
with dock for antenna, wind gizmo, light(s) and that @#$% list goes on and
on.  New boom maybe?  internal rigging for the outhaul and reefing lines
would be slick.   then there's the rigid vang that you will be sure to want.
   See  what you started?

kind regards,

 Tony Thorne
 |  Foul weather?  Deep discounts on Henri Lloyd and 2001 Gill gear. |
 | *** http://www.myaffiliateprogram.com/u/sailnet/t.asp?id=1066 *** |