[Alberg30] Deck Repairs

greg greg at vandenbergphoto.com
Mon Feb 4 16:52:45 PST 2002

With all this talk about balsa verses pegboard, is anyone sure what the Alberg
35 has in her decks?  It may have been stated but I can't remember.

Kindest Regards- Greg

PS:  Original message is as follows

I know this is an Alber30 site, but we are considering purchase of an Alberg
35, and would like some help in making a final decision.  She has been
fairly neglected, is available for a very low price and has many good
features.  The hull is sound, but the survey disclosed fairly extensive
"wet" areas on the side decks where the stanchions have been allowed to leak
for some time.  We are willing and able to do many repairs, but would like
to find someone to help us estimate the work, and assist us with the actual
effort to repair the deck properly (for a reasonable price).  Ideally we
would like to find an individual who could work on her in a Chicago area
boatyard, we would consider sailing her to a Wisconsin or Michigan port
within a 4-5 hours drive from Chicago.

We need to let the owner know soon if we are willing to purchase the boat
and tackle this work.  Our expectation is that we are looking at deck
repairs anywhere between $2000 and $7000 range - assuming we do some of the
work ourselves. (We are handy and willing to do much of the prep and
painting/finish work, but haven't got the experience or sufficient time for
the structural work).  As we are on a very tight budget, we can't afford
major surprises beyond that range.

We have always loved Albergs and have fallen in love with this particular
boat and its layout (dinette)  my husband and sons are all over 6'3" and we
need the somewhat larger boat.

 |  Foul weather?  Deep discounts on Henri Lloyd and 2001 Gill gear. |
 | *** http://www.myaffiliateprogram.com/u/sailnet/t.asp?id=1066 *** |