[Alberg30] Deck Repairs- more info and opinion

Berube5 Berube5 at cox.net
Mon Feb 4 18:17:40 PST 2002

Hi Scott,

I sail #99 on Narragansett Bay, Rhode Island. Just across the bay from
Bristol, RI where she was built in 1960.

The Triton is a great boat. But then, Alberg designed a lot of great boats.

Dana Berube
Triton #99

For those who are interested- I am the webguy for the New England Triton
Association. We have Triton and Alberg stuff on the site that you might
enjoy. We will soon be scanning in an original hand written letter by Carl
Alberg to the then secretary of NETA. It's neat.

www.pearsontriton.com

On 02/04/2002 19:51, "Scott Wallace" <tristan at one.net> wrote:

> Hi Dana,
>
> Where do you sail your mighty TRITON?  They are a wonderful boat!
>
> Scott W
>
> Berube5 wrote:
>
>> Greg,
>>
>> The Alberg 35 was a Pearson built boat. To my knowledge Pearson used *only*
>> balsa as their deck core material. The earliest Pearson Tritons (like mine)
>> used balsa strip planking- which turned out to be the worst form of balsa in
>> terms of water migration. Around 1962-63 Pearson innovated with the use of
>> end-grain balsa- a much better construction practice.
>>
>> Masonite core material was used by Whitby- the builder of the Alberg 30 and
>> Alberg 37.
>>
>> I began my deck rejuvenation project using the drill-and-dry technique since
>> the area of actual delamination was small (a square foot) and I expected the
>> wet area to be limited to that vicinity. Upon exploratory drilling I
>> discovered that the wet area was much more extensive than originally
>> thought. (Limited to one side deck extending partially to the foredeck.)
>>
>> I am still hopeful that this technique will work- I have witnessed the
>> process involved in a total deck recore. A total recore is an enormous
>> project- not to be undertaken by the faint of heart.
>>
>> However, if all or nearly all of the decks were saturated a total recore
>> would be the only sensible option.
>>
>> Dana Berube
>> 1960 Pearson Triton (Alberg design)
>>
>> On 02/04/2002 19:52, "greg" <greg at vandenbergphoto.com> wrote:
>>
>>> With all this talk about balsa verses pegboard, is anyone sure what the
>>> Alberg
>>> 35 has in her decks?  It may have been stated but I can't remember.
>>>
>>> Kindest Regards- Greg
>>>
>>> PS:  Original message is as follows
>>>
>>> I know this is an Alber30 site, but we are considering purchase of an Alberg
>>> 35, and would like some help in making a final decision.  She has been
>>> fairly neglected, is available for a very low price and has many good
>>> features.  The hull is sound, but the survey disclosed fairly extensive
>>> "wet" areas on the side decks where the stanchions have been allowed to leak
>>> for some time.  We are willing and able to do many repairs, but would like
>>> to find someone to help us estimate the work, and assist us with the actual
>>> effort to repair the deck properly (for a reasonable price).  Ideally we
>>> would like to find an individual who could work on her in a Chicago area
>>> boatyard, we would consider sailing her to a Wisconsin or Michigan port
>>> within a 4-5 hours drive from Chicago.
>>>
>>> We need to let the owner know soon if we are willing to purchase the boat
>>> and tackle this work.  Our expectation is that we are looking at deck
>>> repairs anywhere between $2000 and $7000 range - assuming we do some of the
>>> work ourselves. (We are handy and willing to do much of the prep and
>>> painting/finish work, but haven't got the experience or sufficient time for
> [...]

 |  Foul weather?  Deep discounts on Henri Lloyd and 2001 Gill gear. |
 | *** http://www.myaffiliateprogram.com/u/sailnet/t.asp?id=1066 *** |