[Alberg30] Re: Engine pages, propellers

Dick Filinich daf at mobiletel.com
Mon Feb 11 20:12:07 PST 2002

Bob:If you want to check your engine alignment real quick,unbolt coupling,pull
shaft back a little then pull the coupling back together without bolting use a
mechanics feeler gauge (flat type)find the gap on one side between coupling
halves.Lets say you have a reading of .018 and on the opposite side you have a
reading of .014,then you are out of line 4 thousanths of an inch.Do the same
procedure top and bottom side to side and you'll find out where the engine is
out of line.Use shim material to get the engine aligned.If your alignment is
only 1 or 2 thousanths off,then look for bent shaft,partially broken or bent
wheel(prop)or unbalanced wheel.If your boat vibrates only at idle speeds and is
smooth at cruising speed,some diesels idle rough .Remember one thing when you
align an engine make sure the boat is in the water,boats flex(bend) when on land
.Next time you run the engine with trans.engaged put your hand on the stuffing
box to make sure there isn't a  lot of noise and heat in this area to indicated
really bad alignment.Hope this helps.
Dick #191   Louisiana

Bob Lincoln wrote:

> I have a Bukh diesel and have looked at the engine mounts for some time,
> wondering--why do they do shake in the front when running; the back mounts
> seem to be solid.  They also seem to be non-adjustable, perhaps with shims?
> On reading the Towney pages on engine removal perhaps all of the engines
> were bolted down from the top?  The Yanmars up here all seem to have
> adjustable mounts.   I have some engine wedges but have refrained from
> messing about with the alignment, other than what was done when I
> reinstalled the stuffing box & tube.  Should I bother about this shaking?
> Compared to other diesels in the club, mine seems to be no different, with
> some deck vibration, but not as smooth as the Atomic 4.
>
> A second note, I bought a new prop this winter from a Vancouver firm called
> West by North Enterprises.  They have a slim 3-blade design and I went with
> a 12 x 10.5 x 7/8 shaft RH.  Testamonials from another A30 indicated that
> vibration was significantly reduced--my other 2 blade, even repitched
> downwards,  is a 13 inch, which seems to leave less than adequate clearance
> in the aperture and therefore increased vibration--so this summer I am
> hoping to have something good to report back on.  A small note, the brass
> prop keys seem to be as hard to find as hen's teeth.  Eventually I got some,
> but what a process!
>
> PS what a nice winter up here--today it's slightly above freezing.
>
> Bob Lincoln
> Indigo #590
> Winnipeg

 |  Foul weather?  Deep discounts on Henri Lloyd and 2001 Gill gear. |
 | *** http://www.myaffiliateprogram.com/u/sailnet/t.asp?id=1066 *** |