[Alberg30] A30 mast support beam

Dan Morley dan.morley at sympatico.ca
Fri Feb 15 14:17:27 PST 2002

Michael,
    In reviewing your ideas further, I have a couple of questions:
    1. Would the metal channel enclose the whole beam?
    2.  Would you plan to fasten the channel with vertical bolts, as opposed to horizontal (sandwiching) ones?  If so, would you go up through the deck?

To other readers:
    - are we re-inventing a wheel that has already spun around a couple of times?

Dan (#322)

Crufone at aol.com wrote:

> Dan,
> I am also very interested in your style of mast beam support.  My thoughts, after reviewing all the information on the subject was to fabricate a channel section out of stainless steel not aluminum to install over the underside of the original wooden beam.  Also, looking at other boats which have the aluminum plates installed I would make the channel extend longer athwartships. Looking at my boat #133 it appears that making the template would not be that difficult.  I also don't like the idea of drilling helter skelter 7 to 11, 1/4" holes thru the beam to attach the support.  The laminates are only 3/8" thick so if the 1/4" hole for the bolt was drilled thru the center of the laminate you have virtually drilled that particular laminate in half, not cool in my book. Since the ultimate strength has not much to do with the thru bolts, I am thinking of another means of attaching the channel section.  There is also the matter of aesthetics.  The Alberg is a beautiful boat both !
in!
> side and out and I have visited some of these mastbeam. repairs which were so poorly done as to make the final product strong but ugly.  I have a stainless steel fabricator in Indianapolis who I believe can make the SS channel section for not much more that the aluminum plates.
>
> I have talked with a number of engineers about this fix to my boat.  I suspect that the original wooden mast beam is onlt slightly weaker that it needed to be.  After all, most of these boats made it 20 to 25 years before the repair was necessary.
>
> If there are any other owners out there who would like to join me in the design and fabrication of a SS channel section as the possible mast beam fix then I would like to hear from you.  Perhaps after the design phase we could do fabrication of several units together as a cost savings measure.  Let me hear from you.
>
> Michael Connolly   #133

 |  Foul weather?  Deep discounts on Henri Lloyd and 2001 Gill gear. |
 | *** http://www.myaffiliateprogram.com/u/sailnet/t.asp?id=1066 *** |