[Alberg30] A30 mast support beam

Wally Moran helm at georgianbaysailing.ca
Thu Feb 21 11:28:15 PST 2002

Bill and George - it has always been my understanding that the mast
should come down for this sort of job, so that the deck and hull can
return to their proper shape and position without the compression on
them. If the deck has deformed somewhat, then jacking it up will
restore the proper position. If there is any problem with doors
closing, etc. then the mast absolutely must come down if the job is
to be done right.

Wally

>Bill,
>
>I haven't done this job, but since you asked me, I'll provide some
>opinions.  I hope someone else will provide some experience.
>
>I would guess that you can jack up the beam with the mast in place,
>but you'll have to loosen the rigging.
>
>You're basically forming a new beam with aluminum reinforcements.
>I haven't heard of problems with it sagging.
>
>  - George
>
>>  "Furey, Bill (CORP)" said:
>>
>>  George: couple of dumb(or maybe not) questions- 1. Can you jack the beam
>>  up(carefully)
>>  with the mast in place-if so-some tips,pls.
>>  2. Assuming one uses the Washington Inc aluminum plates(they have them for
>>  my boat,
>>  A-35($285 a pair)- when you jack up the beam & fasten on the plates, to the
>>  beam-
>>  why won't the beam sag again(this from a non-engineer with a slight dislexic
>>  problem-
>>  maybe they're one & the same)I understand you glass or seal the extremities
>>  & the overhead,
>>  but is this enough??-thks.
>
>--
>   George Dinwiddie                             gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
>   The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span those hours spent in
>   sailing.                                    http://www.Alberg30.org/

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in
sailing. Anon
www.georgianbaysailing.ca for interesting reading for sailors
 |  Foul weather?  Deep discounts on Henri Lloyd and 2001 Gill gear. |
 | *** http://www.myaffiliateprogram.com/u/sailnet/t.asp?id=1066 *** |