[Alberg30] holding tanks

Mike Lehman sail_505 at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 7 06:46:54 PST 2002

After considerable research on the subject of holding tanks a few years ago,
I decided to have the fittings installed by the factory. There isn't any one
in the local Annapolis area that can weld polyethelene (I watched while one
welding shop nearly ruined a tank) and I tried myself witht he welding rods
supplied by Kracor, but was unsucessful. Threaded fittings leak and there
isn't any sealant that I could fine that would stick to the tank. That's why
I carefully chose the locations of the fittings. I was sure that if the tank
fit in a newer style boat (with a liner), that they would fit in the older
ones (without a liner). Much to my surprise, the plywood in the forward
cabin of the pre-liner boats is about 2" lower, allowing for more head room.
This was only an issue with the vent line attachments. The larger elbows at
the after part of the tank cleared easily. My solution was to 'cap -off' the
two vent lines, and install the on the forward edge of the tank as high as
possible. Ralph Bluntshli, simply added an additional layer of plywood on
top of the tank access rather than having it recessed. The interference was
only about 1/2" and this solved the problem easily. while sleeping in the
v-berth you would never notice the difference in plywood.

Hope this helps,