[Alberg30] holding tanks

Scott a30sailor at home.com
Mon Jan 7 14:40:17 PST 2002

I did a small article some time back on a holding tank for hull # 487. It
has worked flawlessly- dont have the diagram that was originally included
but have posted the article here..........
Alberg 30 Workshop

By... Scott Maury  #487

Topic: Holding Tank Installation

I know this subject has been around for many more years than I have been an
owner, but last winter I managed to install a holding tank for the head thus
complying with current Coast Guard regulations.  Many questions of what
type, where to locate, size and shape were long thought of.  The end result
is a 10-gallon polyethylene tank located directly behind the head in the
lower portion of the locker.

Before we get started, let's not forget that on #487 we have an interior
liner and perhaps on older boats things may be different.

ITEMS NEEDED

KRACOR holding tank port 5106  #KRA275310p note: This tank must be ordered
with fittings located in specific locations other than the original OEM
layout. We will discuss further.

1.5" Waste fitting for deck pump out.

Tank vent fitting.

Par "Y" Waste fitting.

Forspar 1.5" Vented loop.

1.5" sanitation hose length aprox 12'.

1/2" vent hose length 3'.

s/s hose clamps.

4 feet of 1.5" angle aluminum iron.

Misc. cleat stock wood 1"x 1".

Misc. s/s hardware.

1. Lets get the tank ordered.  The number above is the tank needed. I
ordered this tank at fawcetts, here in Annapolis.  They have notes on the
tank layout and I have included a diagram.  I have inverted the tank and
requested the fitting layout as shown.  Notice that I have ordered the tank
with an optional 1.5" outlet on the bottom.  This is for a macerator pump,
which could fit under the tank and is optional.  The diagram included is
from the original purchase order.

2.  Get ready...Close seacocks or ball valves to head if boat is afloat.
Removal of the double door set to the head is a necessity.  Remove head from
its perch by removing supply hose and exhaust hose and removing the four
mounting screws at the base. Next remove the locker panel with 2 vertical
doors and 1 lower horizontal door along with all personal items located in
the locker.  Struggle to remove the old exhaust hose from the boat.  This is
hard because it travels through two shelves to form a loop above the
waterline.  Once every thing old is removed, we must remove the lower shelf.
Don't worry if you think you will lose this much-needed space, for loss is
minimal and the new tank top will act as your lower shelf.

3. With tank in hand, place tank with top about 5 inches below upper shelf
bottom. The left side must be kept butted to the left (main salon bulkhead).
Sketch out at rear right side on the liner knee that will be needed to be
cut out.  This small cutout is necessary in order to allow the tank to set
more outboard to allow the locker panel to be replaced back on the cleats.
A small jig saw with a fine metal blade cuts this liner like butter.  While
we have the saw working we must also enlarge our holes in the top shelve to
allow at least three 1.5' hoses to pass through.  Set the tank in place and
check for plumpness.  If your cutout is neat, the tank will rest in place
with the left side on the bulkhead behind the locker panel cleat. Scribe
lines that make the bottom plane and cut and install cleats to help carry
the load of the tank on the bulkhead and the liner portion not cut out.  The
tank must be mounted back at least 1/4" of space from the locker panel
cleats to allow the angle aluminum stock to carry the load on the front
bottom and top.  Cut the stock to width to span the distance between both
bulkheads, approx. 2'.  Drill holes at ether side on both the aluminum
pieces and through the locker panel cleats. I used a countersunk bore on the
cleats so the mounting bolt heads would not interfere with the locker panel.
I also used sticky backed closed cell foam to line the aluminum stock to
avoid squeaks from tank mounting.  Do not install tank until you have done
most of the pluming needed.

4. Install the deck waste fitting as so to align the hose to be followed
down the right side of the tank.  Notice that with this tank we have approx.
2" of clearance to the right of the tank to run all of the hoses necessary.
Yes this is a tight fit, but with patience it can be done.  Install the tank
vent on the hull side with the vent holes themselves facing aft.  Install a
90 elbow on NPT outlet (F).  Set tank into place with all of the fittings
tightened and positioned as in the diagram. Temporarily install the vented
loop and the "Y" valve as high as possible on the forward bulkhead.  Notice
I have used a very small piece of hose to attach the valve and loop together
with the valve attached on the inboard side of the loop.  Spec out all the
hose lengths and begin assembling the whole system.  Soap helps to get hoses
on to fittings.

After all was said and done, I just could not but back the original leaky
Bydon Boy head. I installed a new ITT PAR manual head.  I have worked on
many boats over the years and have come to the conclusion that this is the
best low cost manual head.  It is very easy to pump.  It has been a full
year and I have not experienced any problems.  Good luck and if you have
more questions look me up.

 SM