[Alberg30] Parallel Headstays

Gord Laco gord at transatmarine.com
Thu Jan 17 03:58:17 PST 2002

Hi Guys,

Double parallel headstays were popular in the U.K. during the '60's.... rarely seen now because it is nearly impossible to keep sufficient and equal tension on them.  We carry triangular plates that were used to terminate them top and bottom... but in practice they don't work.

Most common problem is as follows - the stay carrying the sail sags and allows the hanks to clip themselves onto the stay not under load along its length.  Yes, piston hanks do this. Result is that you cannot lower the sail.  Also, while use of the plates helps keep the twins apart - their presence caused the top and bottom assemblies to rotate up to 180 degrees when load is transfered from one to the other.  This stresses the tang at the masthead and bowplate, loosening turnbuckles (if you've gone for a single under the stays) etc.

A much better system is to use a modern headfoil such as racing sailors use, but instead of fitting a luff tape to your headsails, put mains'l type slugs on them.  The result is all the advantages our forebearers hoped to get from the twin stays without the disadvantages that caused them to discard the system.  Whenever we are asked about twin headstays, I ask if the customer has any books by Hiscock (Published in early '50's).  The answer is usually yes.  I've got the books too - Hiscock tried the twins because in the days of his early trips good spinnaker gear and self steering devices were not available.  He used the twin stays to set boomed out jibs off the wind.

Gord
#426 Surprise