[Alberg30] Anchor Windlass - Delta Anchor - Swim Ladder

Brian and Elaine Timmins timmins at optonline.net
Tue Jan 22 13:33:41 PST 2002

    On my A30 I use a 17lbs Guardian with 30' of chain and ~200' 5/8" rode. The Guardian is a Danforth style but much larger for weight or lighter for size (but not to the extent of the Fortress (who also makes the Guardian)). In the mostly sand or fairly firm mud bottoms I've anchored in, it's grabbed immediately and held wonderfully. (Long Island, New York area)
    On my new Landfall 39 (23500lbs displacement) the previous owner added a 44lbs Bruce on all chain (3/8") and claimed it to be God's gift to anchoring. (Long Island Sound, N.Y. area)  I haven't anchored her yet so no personal comments. She's also got a CQR on 50' of 3/8" chain with 5/8 rode rigged in the bow sprit and a large Danforth ( that the Bruce replaced) as a spare.
     Formerly, I used CQR's on a Windjammer 34 Cutter with no problems. On my Tartan 27 Yawl, I sailed the whole east coast from Long Island Sound south and into the Bahamas using an oversized old Danforth on 30' of chain and 1/2" rode and a 25lbs (I think) nonCQR Plow on 12' of chain and 1/2" rode with no problems at all (including some fairly heavy storms at anchor), excluding one storm where I dragged the Danforth and couldn't get the plow to catch. I had to start the motor and power up into the wind, but that storm was reported to be the fringe of a Tornado.
Regards,
Brian     #497