[Alberg30] Cockpit Grating Material

Bob Johns rjohns3 at optonline.net
Wed Jan 23 07:51:41 PST 2002

The teak cockpit grating that was on Wind Call, #397 when we bought it in
1976 has finally given up the ghost.

Three or four times a summer six of us, that used to work together, go for
a day sail. The guys are not sailors but enjoy the comradeship of getting
together this way. We have done this since I retired in 1986. When Wind
Call was
  during hurricane Bob, the group pitched in to help bring it back after
basic repairs were made.

On our last sail last summer it was obvious that the grating would have to
be discarded or replaced. Last week I went to lunch with them (for the
first time in a while) and they said that they would like to build a new
grating for the boat. During the last sail there had been some discussion
about alternatives to building a conventional grating of teak. They are
proposing a single piece for the top of the "grating" with openings cut
into the top for drainage and traction, and of course provision for
drainage underneath. They are proposing making it of oak. I think that the
method of construction though unconventional, might be OK. I don't know if
oak would work here.

 |  Foul weather?  Deep discounts on Henri Lloyd and 2001 Gill gear. |
 | *** http://www.myaffiliateprogram.com/u/sailnet/t.asp?id=1066 *** |