[Alberg30] Sail choice for high winds

Miabarchet at aol.com Miabarchet at aol.com
Sat Jan 26 18:22:06 PST 2002

HI!
 Somewhere along the way I must have missed something. I have questions
regarding  discussions about storm jibs, gale sails, and inner, removable
forestays. I hope that whoever has an answer to any of the questions will
jump in.

What is a gale sail? How does it differ from a storm jib? Size? Weight?
Shape?
Can or should either  be flown on a inner forestay with a furled jib?

Would either be cut such that if flown on a inner forestay  the center of
effort would be far enough aft to give the boat reasonale balance when flown
alone

If it were cut to extend aft of the mast would it be best to use the inner
jib track?

Would either of these sails be built with a wire luff to be tacked to the
deck; used with or without a pennant and raised to a sturdy block attached to
a reinforced area of the mast with a halyard?

Regarding John's letter about constructing the deck attachment point for the
inner forestay, is the purpose of the 12" wide marine plywood running athwart
ship from toe rail to toe rail to take up the side load on the inner
forestay?

Sorry  for so many questions;  somewhere along the way I got lost.

Jim Allocco
 |  Foul weather?  Deep discounts on Henri Lloyd and 2001 Gill gear. |
 | *** http://www.myaffiliateprogram.com/u/sailnet/t.asp?id=1066 *** |