[Alberg30] gale sail, heavy weather (storm Trisail)

Daniel Walker Dwalker at cemcocpa.com
Mon Jan 28 05:17:27 PST 2002

tom,
going to need crew for the return?
dan
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: SwiftLaw at aol.com
  To: public-list at alberg30.org
  Sent: Sunday, January 27, 2002 5:10 PM
  Subject: Re: [Alberg30] gale sail, heavy weather (storm Trisail)

  Stephen:

  Thanks so much === I will get the movie ASAP.  I sailed from Boston to Africa and Back on a 36 foot loop back in 1978/79. We always took the main off to fly storm canvas in extreme weather, primarily because any loose sail in a furled main in 60 knots wind might worm its way loose and ruin your day.  I do not have rolling furl equipment on my boat for the same fear.  One stuck piece of spring driven metal with too much sail out in a real blow and you are toasted cheese (As Jack Aubrey might say). In the sailing I do now, day sails in Lake Michigan with cocktails off the city of Chicago at night, I will be less afraid to try some of these "new fanged" equipment. The advice and patience here is wonderful.

  FI I am going to ship my boat to Torrenson Marine in Muskegon and have a real yard install an 18 HP Yanmar and do some deck work. I will fit and try her in Muskegon in May or June and sail her back to Chicago. Very excited. Thanks to all for continued support.

  Tom Swift