[Alberg30] Deck Repairs

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at min.net
Thu Jan 31 14:18:29 PST 2002

It's really hard to say.  I found fairing the new surface to be the
hardest part, though I've gotten better at it with practice.  I did
not try to preserve the non-skid surface, but used non-skid beads
in the paint.

For a 6'x15" section, let's guess something like this:
 1 day: grind out the old deck and core with a 4" grinder
 1 day: cut and fit new pieces of core and bed them in thickened resin
 1 day: lay up new glass on top of core
 1 day: sand the new surface and add fairing
 1 day: sand the new surface and add fairing (I never get it fair the first time)

That's 5 days work.  Now, apply the standard rule of thumb for
working on the boat: multiply by three and increment the unit
of time.  That makes 15 weeks of work.  Seems about right to me. ;-)

Note that rotten core is easier to remove than wet, but firmly
attached core.  When laying up the glass, you can do several layers,
let it cure a few hours, and then do several more.  Large areas
are harder to fair than small ones.

 - George

  George Dinwiddie                             gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
  sailing.                                    http://www.Alberg30.org/

 |  Foul weather?  Deep discounts on Henri Lloyd and 2001 Gill gear. |
 | *** http://www.myaffiliateprogram.com/u/sailnet/t.asp?id=1066 *** |