[Alberg30] Re:Deck beam repair

SwiftLaw at aol.com SwiftLaw at aol.com
Wed Jan 16 07:01:10 PST 2002

Dan:
I did this repair last season on my boat #222.  First tip is to get the beam
under a jack right away. Jack it up only a 1/2 turn at a time for a while
until the beam is flush again. So if you can put in the jack a week or so in
advance of the actual repair you will be ahead of the game.

I still fall for the left handed screw driver joke and I managed this repair
myself by following all the good advice on this webb site.

The plates from Washington Aluminum were a perfect fit.  One more tip. Spend
a little $$ and get a proper 1/4 inch drill bit that is about 9 inches long.
A good drill bit makes the job a breeze. Finally. I did use stainless steel
1/4 inch hex bolts 6" long to effect the repair. It is more solid than ever.
Good Luck and do what these guys tell you. Also Please take pictures of the
progress.

Tom Swift
Chicago