[Alberg30] Second Headstay

Brian and Elaine Timmins timmins at optonline.net
Wed Jan 23 17:14:25 PST 2002

I have a Gale Sail. It's a neat idea and is easier than taking down the 135
fully unfurled in storm conditions. If your reason for adding a second
headstay is strictly for using a storm sail, this is better/easier/safer.
The originator of the thread wanted to use a drifter, if I remember
correctly.  This idea might work on a drifter also, but only if the fabric
was soft and flexible enough. On the storm Jib (unused in Storm conditions)
the fabric is really stiff and heavy. This causes the clipped on but
unraised sail to be quite a tall stack for a short luff length. If you need
the stiff heavy fabric to make the cover sleeve work, I can't imagine trying
a full luff sail.
ATN does mention that it's part of the French Patented, Coversail System,
and that luff conversions are available. I've never seen any other sail with
this set up.
Regards,
Brian         #497