[Alberg30] [Fwd: [RFSailingClub] continuing engine woes]

R.C. Alley ralley at chesapeake.net
Wed Jul 3 17:02:07 PDT 2002

Mike Lehman right-- I want to make a further point in regard to being
thorough.  Because this fuel has been in there a while, it is contaminated
with various microbes, water, and other bits of things that float & live in
your fuel system. So are your filters, lines, pumps, injectors.

1.  Replace the fuel, and all filters. GET ALL THE FUEL OUT OF THE TANK, and
ALL THE GUNK below the fuel in the tank, and ALL THE WATER on the bottom of
the tank. You can use one of the cheap siphon pumps available in auto &
discount stores and some rigid copper tubing to do this . Add new fuel; use
a fuel conditioner according to the instr. Run the engine for long enough to
get new fuel through all parts.  Note: some electric fuel pumps
(particularly those that  are cylindrical) have their own fuel filters; make
sure that you check, and change the fuel pump filter if any. (This is for
the pump that might be mounted on a bulkhead, and raises fuel from the tank
to the injector pump on the engine).
2.You may have to bleed the lines at the injectors to get the beast started
again, because there may now be air in the fuel lines--you emptied the tank.
3.   If you perceive any hesitation at all, pull the pick-up tube on the
tank and clean it.  Some have small-gage wire screens over their ends that
fill up with algae and impede the flow of fuel.
4. Given your problems with this engine, I would let it run a couple of
hours.  The clean fuel/conditioner may help your other problems solve
themselves.  If not, at least you have eliminated a source of future
problems.
5.  Always, always, always, ALWAYS use fuel conditioner with a biocide.

I wouldn't attempt to burn dirty fuel in any other machinery or furnace
unless you really like to take stuff apart.  #2 Fuel oil is almost exactly
the same as stuff that is sold as diesel fuel, except for the fine that you
will get if caught using it as vehicle fuel.  The Fed and State revenue
folks get really upset.

And, your black smoke may be unburned fuel, which can be indicative of
injector problems. White smoke maybe indicative of water or other
contaminants in your cylinders.
Rob