[Alberg30] Exhaust system

Michael dickdurk at intercom.net
Sat Jul 6 07:44:58 PDT 2002

The water lift muffler is a big improvement over the original. For one
thing, the lazarrette becomes useful-there is no heat buidup to speak of in
that space.

>do I have to worry about water backing
>into the engine, if the engine is not running, and I am >sailing

That is an issue. You'll need a riser coming off the back of the exhaust
manifold (before the cooling water is mixed). The idea is to get as high as
possible above the water outlet on the stern. There should already be
something like that on your present installation. There have been problems
with that in the past on Albergs. Make that riser as high as possible on
your new setup. If I recall correctly on Checkmate's A4 system, it was a
2"galvenized pipe, with elbows, etc.

If you have the original installation, the muffler is wrapped with asbestos.
Be careful.

Michael

 |  Boatowners Mechanical And Electrical Manual by Nigel Calder  |
 | http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/007009618X/alberg30-20 |