[Alberg30] Lightning Protection

Bob Chambers BlueDolphin at rivnet.net
Fri Jul 12 13:34:31 PDT 2002

I completely agree with George, it is difficult if not impossible to really
protect the boat.  I do think that installing one of the rods with a brush
of wires at the top of the mast is an excellent idea.  The theory is that it
will 'bleed off the charge around the boat' making it less likely that you
will be hit.  I have seen the "St Elmo's Fire" eminating from one of these
indicating that they are working.

Bob Chambers

 //       Ocean Navigator magazine, for the serious sailor        //
 // http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000066625/alberg30-20 //