[Alberg30] Spinnaker question

Bill Blevins bblevins at fredericksburg.com
Mon Jul 15 04:28:06 PDT 2002

Where are you mounting the blocks for the spinnaker guy and sheet? How far
back? And on the wooden rail or on the deck?

On most boats I've been on before, two cheek blocks are mounted flush on the
deck as far aft as possible. On my Alberg 30 the toe rails are at least 2
inches tall, so that won't work unless I mount them on the wooden rail
itself. Is that what you did?

I bought two Harken air blocks yesterday with the thought of mounting on one
of the stanchion base "hooks" but now I noticed that the aft stanchions (for
the stern rail) on the sides don't have that hook, just the ones in the
middle of the boat. It looks like mounting in the wood is the best approach
to keep them as far aft as possible. (the next stanchions are about even
with the winch and that seems way to far forward to me).

(We are going to do this with only the two standard winches until we can
afford to add two more next year...The other questions I have are related to
holding all of those lines in the cockpit at the same time...The one jib
sheet that is working, the pole lift and downhaul (I'm going to try to run
these aft) plus the guy and spinnaker sheet (one of these is easy because
there will be a free winch on one side). I'm trying to get my mind around
where to "hold" everything while I drop the jib and get reorganized to fly
the chute).)

Note: This weekend I got a long way in rerouting all of the electric to
switch box in the aft port shelf compartment (in the door). It's going to
work great. Similar to the photo on the Alberg site where someone else did a
similar thing. That photo though looks like they ran everything to the
starboard side. Much much easier to work on with the fold down door.

--
Tracy and Bill Blevins
SABRINA, Dahlgren, VA

 //       Ocean Navigator magazine, for the serious sailor        //
 // http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000066625/alberg30-20 //