[Alberg30] Spinnaker question (pad-eyes)

Daniel Sternglass dans at stmktg.com
Mon Jul 15 23:36:58 PDT 2002

George Dinwiddie wrote:

> Are they through-bolted?  I wouldn't worry about them being mounted on
> the wood as long as they're bolted through the fiberglass and have
> backing plates.

George & Bill,

George - It's a rarity to be able to tell you about something you don't
already know about these boats, after all the help you've given...

The following is in reference only to my old-style (1966) boat... There
are 3 machine screws and one lag-screw, if my recollection is right. I
removed those pad-eyes about 5 years ago when I had all the deck
hardware polished and re-plated. I had to climb into the Lazarette and
reach into the -far- corners. You could climb in the lazarette with a
flash light, or maybe hang down and see the nuts and washers. I recall
that the screw holes are angled parallel to the slope of the back edge
of the aft rail. I think these attachments are very strong, -if- the
wood is in good shape in that area.

BTW, a trick that I used to fill a rotted area in the stbd corner of the
aft rail with epoxy putty when I had the pad-eyes off was to protect the
path of the machine screws with a plastic soda straw, that just stays in
there. At that time, I thought it would otherwise be impossible to gage
the angle to re-drill the hole to where the bolt emerges through the
fiberglass into the lazarette.

--Dan S.
dans at stmktg.com

>  - George
>
> > Bill Blevins said:
> >
> > I have those same pad eyes but they're mounted up on the wood on the very
> > back corners. Didn't look strong enough. I may move them on deck like your
> > photo.
>
> --
>   George Dinwiddie                             gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
>   The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span those hours spent in
>   sailing.                                    http://www.Alberg30.org/

 //       Ocean Navigator magazine, for the serious sailor        //
 // http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000066625/alberg30-20 //