[Alberg30] window leaks/V berth leaks

Daniel Sternglass dans at stmktg.com
Wed Jul 17 14:09:26 PDT 2002

bob wrote:

> I'm looking for what calking should be used around the main Salon
> windows. I have a slow leak in one window.

The most recent issue of Practical Sailor recommends a particular
caulking (I think Dow Corning) made for window glazing in building
construction. I don't have the mag here in my office, but let me know if
you can't otherwise find one and I'll e-mail you the info.

> I also have water leaking around the chain plates and have been
> unsuccessful with 3M 4200 around the chain plates; perhaps another more
> flexible calking is required.

I just removed all the chainplates to replace the 1/4" screws with 5/15"
bolts. I followed an earlier recommendation from this group to use Rule
Elastomeric caulk. I was also advised to leave the chainplate bolts
loose while it cured overnight before tightening them, and to use the
fine tip to ensure caulk got around all sides of the chainplate. Other
advice on this board has been to make a square bead (not apretty sloping
edge one) for maximum strenght. Also, use xylene (available in small
quantities as "goof off" tape remover) or some similar solvent to clean
the area where you want the caulk to bond.

> Once water leaks in these areas, well... you all know probably know
> where the water goes! Anywhere along the length of these shelves!
>
> I have one leak forward of the starboard chain plate area where the
> water runs down the inside of hull, across the v berth shelf and into
> the bunk area making the berth Cushing's wet.

When I removed the chainplates, I found that the "mystery leak" I could
never find was through the chainplates, that leak destroyed the vertical
edge strip on the stbd side shelf in the vee berth, and damaged the
portside shelf some.

I have had occasion to rebed some of the rub rail, using regular "Life
Caulk". I've never had to remove the toe rail, but others on this board
have replaced it, and I think they used 3M 5200 to rebed it, which is
very strong, but very hard to remove.

--Dan S.
dans at stmktg.com
Watcher of the Skies, #201, Cayuga Lake, Ithaca, NY

> Thanks
>
> -bob

 //       Ocean Navigator magazine, for the serious sailor        //
 // http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000066625/alberg30-20 //