[Alberg30] Dinghy Towing

Brian and Elaine Timmins timmins at optonline.net
Tue Jul 23 16:44:23 PDT 2002

   It depends on where your towing. If your in a sea way, the painter should
be long enough to keep the dingy on the back side of the wave behind the
boat. This will keep the dingy drier and more stable (eliminate all that
tugging on the painter). If your in fairly flat water, the length of the
painter makes little difference.
   I use 50' of 1/2" polypro spliced into a bridle on my inflateable. I keep
an extra 50' length available if I need it which is hardly ever. I use
polypro because it floats and stands very little chance of getting caught in
the prop. It's not as strong as any other modern line but I check it
frequently for chafe and broken strands. It's worked fine for me for many
years with inflateables and a hard dingy before that (that got towed from NY
to Fla. the Bahamas (Georgetown, Exuma) and back to NY)
Regards,
Brian          ex # 497