[Alberg30] Going faster

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at min.net
Mon Jul 29 05:57:02 PDT 2002

Bill,

The fleet can attest that I'm not the person to impart secrets on
going fast, but that's never stopped me from making comments.

If you're not pointing well, that will lose you a lot of ground.
Pinching, and losing power, will lose you more.  Practice getting
the boat to move well and then work on pointing.  The sails may
limit your angle to the wind.

Check your shrouds and make sure the mast is centered and not
sagging off on the tacks.

You don't say what kind of wind conditions you had.  My basic
rule of thumb is to loosen everything, including halyards, in
light air and tighten it up in heavier.

If you've got crew, you want it midships on the weather rail.
Unless, of course, the wind is real light and then you want
half of it midships on the lee rail and half of it back on
shore.

Best advice I have: come up to Annapolis for the Canadian Weekend
(Sept. 14-15, see http://www.alberg30.org/Assoc/schedule2002.html)
and crew on another Alberg.  It's a great learning experience and
the weekend's a lot of fun, too.

 - George

  George Dinwiddie                             gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
  sailing.                                    http://www.Alberg30.org/

         Cruising the Chesapeake: A Gunkholer's Guide

  My favorite Chesapeake Bay guidebook. While it mentions marinas,
  it concentrates on anchorages--the kind of places I prefer to spend
  my time. And in addition to listing shore facilities, it rates each
  location for Beauty/Interest and Protection. This is the guide you
  need to really cruise the Chesapeake Bay--a smorgasbord of small
  creeks and coves.

   http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0071363718/alberg30-20