[Alberg30] Rookie questions

Michael dickdurk at intercom.net
Mon Jul 29 15:05:30 PDT 2002

I feel obliged to offer a contrarian view. I have the original compass (a Ritchie Danforth) I still mount in the "step".  Deviation has never been a problem for me-I have a diesel now, but even with the A4 deviation was less than 5 degrees. The VHF microphone placement was much more critical. The biggest problem on Checkmate is it's a popular place to sit-steering a compass course becomes difficult then.

When I sail, I sail a course based on wind direction (I have a bulkhead mounted AWI), when I motor, I tend to use an autopilot that has it's own compass.

Granted, sailing on the Chesapeake Bay as I am, my position is if you need to sail a compass course, anchor. It'll clear up soon :)

Michael