[Alberg30] / Trailer

Brian Zinser bzinser at nmu.edu
Tue Jun 4 08:28:55 PDT 2002

I have a trailer which I picked up used from an inquiry on this list
about 4 years ago.  I also know that TRIAD in CT will fabricate.  Where
I live we have no lift (closest is either about 140 east in SSM or 100
west up on the Keweenaw), so everyone here has a trailer.  We have
everything from custom trailers such as mine to folks who have simply
bolted a cradle on an old car carrier type trailer.  Obviously the
latter is used to only move the boat a few hundred yards.

I think I paid about $2,400 US for my trailer which was up in ONT.  I
understand that a TRIAD trailer would be closer to $6,000.  You might
want to look around any boat/power equipment yards near you for a used
one that could be modified by a local welder.  If you find a decent
trailer chassis, I think you can buy pre-made jack-stands and
weld/modify onto chassis.  I have a total of six adjustable pads on my
trailer with is a tandem axle.  Many of the larger boats around here
(Union 30, J40, Tartan 41, Cape Dory 36) have four and five axle
trailers and heavier hitches.

Also, in Michigan, the Alberg would be considered an extra wide load
which requires a special permit.  For the most part, I don't worry about
it because we (the boating community) have an informal understanding
with local law enforcement regarding (NO) need for permits and trailer
licenses for the one weekend each spring/fall when we rent the crane to
drop in boats.