[Alberg30] Mast electrical connectors

Brian Zinser bzinser at nmu.edu
Wed Jun 12 05:55:39 PDT 2002

I think they come in at least three sizes.  I believe the medium size
works for VHS radio coax connecter.  You are correct that you drill the
thru-deck to a diameter so the connector fits through.  In my case, I
have the radio mounted under the cabinets above the port berth in the
main salon.  I drilled a hole in the bottom of the cabinet and then
through to the cabinet in the head and then through the bulkhead.  My
coax is long enough to come through deck and be fed all the way to the
radio.  I have a little extra which I simply leave up in the cabinet.
The cable clam has two parts.  One is mounted to the deck with four
screws and has a gasket which when mounted is watertight.  The other
half has a rubber compound which you drill a hole slightly smaller than
the coax diameter.  Feed the coax through the top half as far as you
need and put on the connector.  Then fed the connector and inside coax
through the deck mounted half. The top half has four machine screws
which are screwed into the bottom half which is mounted on the deck.
Each season when I prepare to take down the mast, simple take out the
four machine screws and pull coax out of the boat.  No connections to
worry about.

I think these are out of a small firm in the Seattle area and I will
never go back to previous arrangements of putting a connection, or
sometimes two, depending on the arrangement, at the thru-deck. I
personally don't think they are safe for several reasons.

Brian
Manana #134