[Alberg30] Deck Coring

Brian and Elaine Timmins timmins at optonline.net
Thu Jun 20 14:53:15 PDT 2002

I did the foredeck on Free Spirit (#497), when I bought her using method 1. She was in a boat house at the time. I drilled about 1400 holes in the foredeck in November and ran 2 alcohol heaters under the foredeck for about 3 months to dry out the core. Iwas able to check the core periodically by digging out a bit through the holes using an allen wrench. Once it was fairly dry, I injected West System Epoxy to fill the deck. (if you do this, I suggest using unthickened epoxy      It's easier to get it to flow into the voids).
  As of this spring when I sold her, the job was standing up really nicely.
Regards,
Brian