[Alberg30] Greymarine troubles

Scott tristan at one.net
Fri Jun 21 18:50:25 PDT 2002

Anne,

Did you run out of oil?  What locked up your engine?  Could the starter motor
have locked up and is stuck engaged in the flywheel?  If I remember well, the
Greymarine is a flathead four stroke engine, pretty simple...Engine rebuilds
can range in price anywhere from about five hundred dollars up to way more
money depending upon what is needed and what kind of an engine it is...a
Greymarine or Plymouth 6 cylinder 1959 engine might run five hundred if just
rings, bearings and gaskets are replaced with a valve regrind...if a reground
crankshaft and special sized bearings are required, or new pistons, wrist
pins and connecting rods are required, then the price goes way up...if we are
talking about a Bugatti or Iso Franchina engine we may be talking a million
dollars!

If the engine is locked up from the piston rings rusting to the cylinder
walls from being unused for a long time, you might get away with pulling the
spark plugs out, dumping automatic transmission oil down into the cylinders,
let  it sit for a week, then try to turn the crankshaft with a 1/2" drive
socket and breaker bar...if it brakes lose, crank it with the starter to
clean up the cylinder walls and get rid of most of the transmission oil from
the cylinders, then replace the plugs and go sailing...

Scott Wallace, sailor of Nova Scotia Bluenose sloop HELL-DIVER, former owner
of Spndrift, Alberg designed pocket cruiser (Pearson Electra), dreamer of
owning a Pearson Ariel or Alberg 30 and writer of Carl Alberg article in Good
Old Boat...

ALBERGS FOR EVER!!!!!

Anne wrote:

> Well, I'm about ready to throw in the towel. My engine is locked up and
> needs to be rebuilt. Does anyone have know about rebuilding greymarines?
> Cost estimates for a rebuild would be helpful. Also estimates about what I
> could get for a nice boat with no motor would be appreciated.
>
> Anne S
> Macinda #159

 |  Boatowners Mechanical And Electrical Manual by Nigel Calder  |
 | http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/007009618X/alberg30-20 |