[Alberg30] Advice on Restoring Gunwhales, Lazarettes, Hatches

Scott tristan at one.net
Mon Jun 24 19:12:01 PDT 2002

My experience with oiling teak is that it requires oiling at least twice
a month or it fades into gray very quickly and gets ugly dark streaks
and stains from mildew and other microorganisms that absolutely flourish
in the hot humid atmosphere aboard a boat...
I have used both Boat US teak oil as well as some more expensive ones
and given up on all of them!  I only varnish - if you do the job right,
you can touch up at the end of the season and go the next couple of
years with just touchups and a new few coats over the old...There used
to be a popular two part oil product called DEKS OJAY...I haven't heard
of it in quite a while...the number one was a nice oil type finish that
looked more real than CETOL...Number 2 was, I believe, a varnish based
sealer...

Scott Wallace, HELL-DIVER Bluenose 24