[Alberg30] some questions

Dave Terrell DTERRELL.GWSTAFF.GWNMC at message.nmc.edu
Wed Mar 20 10:27:35 PST 2002

thanks for the insight. I really appreciate it.

Dave Terrell said:
> 1. My new holding tank has arrived from Raritan ($176.00 delivered).
> It will fit into the port space forward of the head. My question
> here is: what is the best way to secure it in place?

Take a look at http://www.alberg30.org/maintenance/disorganized/head/105-0523_IMG.JPG
and you'll see how Mike held his tank in place.

> 2. I am in the process of refinishing all the interior wood - mine
> looked OK when I first looked at it but turned out to be really
> ratty on closer inspection. I am  referring to the finish, not the
> wood itself. My question is: what type of wood was used to make
> the main bulkhead? I am hoping to have an idea what it is before
> I go after it with a sander. Knowing might change my strategy.

This varies boat to boat.  Mine is plywood with a thin teak veneer.
If you sand, I suggest going very lightly.

> 3. Reefing "early."  [snip] So, what is early?

This is, of course, quite subjective as you note.  Actually, if you're
a little overpowered, the boat will sail quite nicely by letting out
the mainsheet and ignoring the "bubble" that will form at the luff.
It doesn't look great, but it works and is often a first resort if
the wind speed is oscillating or the crew is short-handed.

A lot depends on the particular boat and particular sail.  Our old
main was so full that, when the wind piped up, the heeling force
increased faster than the forward drive.

> And a related matter - what angle of heel does the boat tend to
> "settle in" at and "run on rails" as Sailing Magazine said?

Keep the windows and winches out of the water. ;-)  I'd guess that
I tend to sail with the rail 2 or 3 inches out of the water.  This
is further over than Gail prefers, of course, but it feels about
right to me.  Actually, I don't look at the rail to judge this,
but just sail by when the boat "feels happy."  I could be wrong
about the distance, as I'm not paying much attention to that.

As for that subjective "feels happy" condition, this varies a
lot depending on the wind and sea state.  Basically, though, the
boat seems to be skipping across the water or dancing from
wavetop to wavetop.  This is in contrast to times when the
boat feels sluggish or ponderous.  The boat can get really
knocked around when underpowered and can plow into the sea when
overpowered.  As with all women, it doesn't do any good to ask
what is the problem.  It's up to me to realize that she's
sulking and try some changes.  If I hit on the right one, her
mood lifts and we have a great time. ;-)

 - George

  George Dinwiddie                             gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
  sailing.                                    http://www.Alberg30.org/

 | Get in gear for an early Spring with SailNet's ten percent discount |
 |  *** http://www.myaffiliateprogram.com/u/sailnet/t.asp?id=1066 ***  |