[Alberg30] aluminum 6061 t-6

chrishardy chrishardy at tds.net
Fri Mar 29 06:29:45 PST 2002

You could machine the 6061 with a good quality router like a porter
cable 3.5 hp with the speed adjustment, use a solid carbide two flut
centercutting end mill and 10000rpm setting, cut only about 1/8" per
pass. For the mast beam I'd use a 1/2" bit with a plywood pattern,
cutting .125 deep per pass. I cut marine electrical panels with a cnc
router with 1/8" bit at 6 inches per minute travel speed and coolant
spraying on the bit. Works great-- 5052 aluminum is way too gummy and
fouls the bit which then breaks. Even without coolant you should be able
to machine the thick mast beam material without generating enough heat
to draw out the temper.....

 | Get in gear for an early Spring with SailNet's ten percent discount |
 |  *** http://www.myaffiliateprogram.com/u/sailnet/t.asp?id=1066 ***  |