[Alberg30] Winches

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at min.net
Wed Nov 13 07:49:56 PST 2002

I had a pair that came with the boat on my Barlow 22's.  My opinion is that
they weren't worth the effort.  I didn't like keeping that many wraps on
the winch.  You had to be careful when cranking in a significant distance.
It was slower throwing the wraps off the winch when tacking.

I know that some people really like them, but I didn't.

If I still have them in the junk box, they're available for postage and
a nominal donation to the Association.  I may have already gotten rid of
them at the Spring Rendezvous flea market.

 - George

> Taylor Echlin said:
>
> The Wincher is a product I bought 2 years ago.  It's made of blue rubber.
> Installing The Wincher takes a bit of effort - you need strong hands.
>
> It works effectively - especially when you are sailing single-handed.  You
> need about 4 wraps of jib sheet around the winch - and the sheet then rides
> up under the lip of The Wincher as you grind.  The pressure of the four
> wraps keeps the sheet secure.
>
>	[snip]
>
> From: "Peter Amos" <peter.amos1 at btinternet.com>
>
> > I'm thinking about adding the rubber (or plastic)winchers to the original
> > bronze headsail winches to make them self tailing.Has anyone done this,if so
> > are they effective?
 | http://www.alberg30.org/store/Calendars.html |
 | Have you got your 2003 calendars yet???????? |