[Alberg30] Help- Tin Canning Bow

John Birch Sunstone at cogeco.ca
Sat Nov 16 12:05:49 PST 2002

Mike yer awesome -
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Mike Lehman
  To: A30 Public List
  Sent: Saturday, November 16, 2002 3:01 PM
  Subject: Re: [Alberg30] Help- Tin Canning Bow

  This is not a difficult repair. The deck/hull joint on #457 is pop-riveted together with alunimun rivets. If salt water gets into the joint, it oxidizes the rivets and they fail. They also will fail in a hard collision with another boat of a bouy or other fixed object. The toe rail is just a cap rail screwed on with #10 SS screws with wood plugs to cover the heads. The first step in the repair is to remove the toe rail. Depending on whether you plan to replace it or save and reuse it will determine how much care you give on the removal. Once the toe rail is removed, it is a simple job to drill or pound out the remains of the rivets. Re-assembly should be done with 5200 as a sealant and 10 x 24 or 32 SS machine screws. It takes two people, one inside the boat to hold and tighten the bolts and the other on the outside to hold the screws. The screws should be flat head (either phillips, square heads or slotted) and counter sunk slightly. I used phillips each time I have done this. Use clamps to hold the deck and hull together while installing the screws, start at one end and work your way along. Once the hull,deck joint is bolted back together, re-install the teak toe rail. I would use 5200 as a bedding compound for the toe rail, but don't expect to take it off again in one piece. In my personal opinion, any boat of this vintage should be re-fitted bow-to-stern on both starboard and port sides. You wonder where those leaks are in your boat - this is a very likely culprit. Once you have completed this project, you will be comforted in knowing that your boat is now stronger that ever. Estimate time - 1 day.