[Alberg30] Help- Tin Canning Bow

John Birch Sunstone at cogeco.ca
Sat Nov 16 12:51:46 PST 2002

Ralph,

As you have a second generation A-30, the sheer clamp is the raised area above the deck where the hull/deck meet - it is riveted and glassed over to join the deck to the hull. The hull extends up to the under part of the deck and forms an L, the deck has a raised L flange which sits on top of the hull L flange and they are riveted together and glassed and, or, otherwise sealed - the whole thing is capped by the teak toe rail.

Impact, if sever enough, is sufficient to spring the two flanges apart - but I have seen many sever impacts which should have popped the clamp and failed to do so. That's why I suggested looking for an impact point. A wear and tear failure is quite rare. It is a robust arrangement, although perhaps not as robust as the first generation A-30 - this is a relative measure - it is certainly more robust than the average boat construction by a considerable margin.

Mike's suggested repair is the way to go - he has much experience in working on A-30's - that is not a left handed comment - his work is first rate. Suggest you listen to his advice.

Warms up in February - yikes, yer lucky ... we're done until late March at the earliest, more like April.
But then we get to enjoy single malts longer in front of the fireplace - I guess it all works out ; )

Cheers,

John