[Alberg30] Mast unstepping

John Birch Sunstone at cogeco.ca
Sun Nov 17 15:53:11 PST 2002

If you are taking the mast down to store it in a rack or where others might move it - I would suggest you do as we do and put it in PVC water pipe (usually comes in 12 foot lengths) and secure it so it isn't bent to either the mast or well supported on mast racks. This will help prevent damage to the foil from minor yard oafishness.  Also, we have found it safer at our hoist to lift the mast from the aft side so the foil is well away from the mast crane.

You might find it helpful, as we do, to have an extra set of hands to hold the bottom of the furler during the lift and restepping process so it doesn't swing around.

Just some thoughts. Hope it is a help.

Cheers,

John