[Alberg30] Floating Ground on Diesel Engines

R.C. Alley ralley at chesapeake.net
Sun Nov 17 18:53:48 PST 2002

It may be that this arrangement is set up for an "isolated ground," which is intended to avoid stray current corrosion through the prop and shaft, since the engine forms no part of the circuit. You might want to see Calder's book (Boatowner's Mechanical and Electrical Manual), pp. 83-84 for an explanation of this arrangement, to see if it matches your circumstance.

Rob Alley