[Alberg30] Help- Tin Canning Bow

Dave Terrell DTERRELL at message.nmc.edu
Mon Nov 18 08:45:06 PST 2002

I am interested since I may be poking around in that area this spring.

>>> greeksailor at worldnet.att.net 11/15/02 10:09PM >>>
I noticed the same situation while she was on the hard. I took the stem
head fitting apart and to my surprise I found the thru hull bolts were
bent! The whole stem head fitting was pulled upward by the forestay
force, about 1/2 inch fore minimizing to zero aft. I took the whole
thing off and took out all the caulking that was previously squeezed in
there. I filled the whole area with furring compound, three hands of it
and sanded it down similar to a baby's behind.

At the same time, it dawned upon me where the water was coming in;
under the steam head plate and the deck / hull seal. After I sealed
both, there has not been a drop of water to be seen in the boat! And I
do like to bury the rail at times.

While at it and of concern of crossing the Atlantic in 2004 I decided
to upgrade the whole stem head fitting and it's connection to the bow.

First upgrade was to upgrade the bolts that attach the chainplate to
the hull as well as bolts that attach the stem head plate to the deck
from 1/4 to  5/16".

Second upgrade was to add filler / glass on the inside of the bow where
all the bolts come in, making sure to add lock nuts and big washers for
load distribution.

Third upgrade was to change the two top bolts that attach the
chainplate to the stem head plate from ( 3/4" long flat head machine
screws) to 3" bolts that go through the aluminum and bolted from the
other side.

Digital Pic's and diagrams are available for anyone interested.

Christos Katehis
Kasia #383 New York