[Alberg30] Engine beds and repowering advice

Randy Katz randyk at bertschi.org
Sat Oct 26 17:37:56 PDT 2002

Greetings,
    I just replace my engine beds last spring.  The originals were upside
down L-shaped fiberglass beams (a few inches high) running fore/aft.  I
assume they were the originals that came with the A-4 in 1967.

    A few years ago the previous owner had a Universal 3MB 20 (diesel)
installed.  As I was preparing to leave for several weeks trip to the North
end of Vancouver Is. I noticed that one of the beds was sagging and cracked.

    What we hear is that the diesels rumble around more and therefore
require beefier beds.  Unfortuanately, the new installation didn't include
that part of the deal, so I pulled the engine and hired Cap Sante guys to
put in proper beds.  This was last spring for many $$$$.

    Anyone who's repowering to diesel from an A-4 would be wise to take care
and boost the beds in the process, lest the lighter weight A-4 beds give up
along the way: it ain't pretty when that happens ($$$$$$), not to mention it
could be pretty dangerous if the engine got cut loose while under way!

Cheers,
 Randy Katz #249
Seattle

 | http://www.alberg30.org/store/Calendars.html |
 | Have you got your 2003 calendars yet???????? |