[Alberg30] Bosuns Chair

Brian and Elaine Timmins timmins at optonline.net
Thu Oct 17 02:28:33 PDT 2002

Buddy,
  Use the largest winch you can get a fair lead to without going through too
many blocks (every block adds friction). Make sure that any blocks you use
are up to the job (properly mounted, can take the load with adequate safety
factor (minimum 4X actual load)) and put as many turns on the winch as
possible without over crowding the drum. If that means the cockpit jib sheet
winches, you will need an additional person to tend the safety line (just
keep it snug, no actual load unless the unthinkable happens). If your actual
hoisting winch is self tailing, good, but still keep a hand (or person) on
that tail just in case it slips. Think more about safety while hoisting and
lowering than anything else. Once your at the working height, cleat off both
the hoisting and safety ropes, and don't stand right under the work.
Always think safety and you'll never think "if only"
Regards,
Brian     ex#497